Go down
resident
View user profile

Why can't you move patients out of ICU? Empty Why can't you move patients out of ICU?

on Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:44 pm
Got a chap in there and he's got problems. Wanted to move him out and see what that pesky secret symptom was that was causing him to collapse. The staff don't appear to be doing much with this guy so he's probably going to die. So I was just curious why a patient can't be moved out of that ward but they can be moved out of the others...
cTrix
fellow
View user profile

Why can't you move patients out of ICU? Empty Re: Why can't you move patients out of ICU?

on Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:24 pm
You should be able to do any procedure your hospital has available with ICU patients. You can even have patients from ICU undergo surgery in a different department. Maybe your ICU ward needs more equipment, or maybe your ICU lab does. Or maybe you don't have the special diagnostic room required for the symptom.

Patients in ICU are automatically transferred to HDU wards when the day shift doctor does the morning check up and determines the patient is stable.
resident
View user profile

Why can't you move patients out of ICU? Empty Re: Why can't you move patients out of ICU?

on Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:18 pm
The guy ended up having to leave the hospital. I haven't quite got my head around how the game works at the moment so I'll try adding more equipment etc as you suggested and hopefully that'll help. Thanks for your answer Smile
resident
View user profile

on Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:49 pm
I agree with you. I try and avoid the ICU at all costs because they get left and no treatment. ive never been able to send them to surgery or get tests done. there is no stat lab for ICU and when you click the icon on their patient cards to general surgery to get tests and ops done it wont allow you and says icu treatment has not been finished. the patient will be taken away or die before the orange ICU hospitalization stops flashing under treatment. I don't get what im doing wrong either.
resident
View user profile

on Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:01 pm
Ah well i'm glad it's not just me then! Let me know if you figure out how to play the game! lol!
cTrix
fellow
View user profile

on Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:26 am
If you want an example of a working ICU department just load the first campaign level. Look at what the rooms in the ICU have that yours don't.
resident
View user profile

on Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:33 am
Haha. Unfortunately Campaign 1 is the level that I am on.
cTrix
fellow
View user profile

on Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:34 am
Strange, I have had no trouble having literally every test run on ICU patients and even sending them to surgery in my surgery department on that level. Maybe you put an item somewhere that's blocking something. Or maybe it's a bug and you have to restart the level. You should sent the save file to the devs.
resident
View user profile

on Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:36 pm
I suspect i'm just being special. I will send the save file if I end up in ICU again and get stuck. Thanks for your help Smile
resident
View user profile

on Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:56 pm
I'm having problems with ICU again. Different campaign. It's just an issue with the fact that once a patient gets sent to ICU, if there is no beds available they will just stay on the bed that they are on until space becomes available. During which time I can't change that they were being sent to ICU, I just have to wait for the game to catch up...beds to become free.
For example, I've got someone stuck on a diagnostic bed at the moment, on their way to ICU (I don't even know why because none of their treatments required being put into ICU grr these stupid doctors keep putting them in stupid places!) and because there is no space they are just clogging up the diagnostic unit and obviously I can't change department because that can only be changed after treatment has been completed.
Any ideas? What am I doing wrong??
fellow
View user profile

on Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:33 pm
In my hospitals the staff in other departments think ICU means I Called Undertaker. When someone collapses while already under hospitalization, I just send them away to another hospital. Let someone else's annual rating take the hit. Laughing
intern
View user profile

on Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:10 am
cTrix wrote:Strange, I have had no trouble having literally every test run on ICU patients and even sending them to surgery in my surgery department on that level. Maybe you put an item somewhere that's blocking something. Or maybe it's a bug and you have to restart the level. You should sent the save file to the devs.

Mines a hit or miss. Sometimes it’ll do testing and procedures, most times it will not having them die or transferred out cause they just sit there and can’t do anything
intern
View user profile

on Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:03 pm
With Patch 7, I've watched a patient get rolled from the ICU to the General Surgery Diagnostic ward for a procedure. Now this happened when my General Surgery department was at its quietest which means it was waiting for a slot between the room and available staff in the receiving department. So it can happen, not sure how scheduling procedures works in the game and if ICU patients gets prioritized for procedures, but maybe from past experience, they don't.
resident
View user profile

on Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:44 pm
Perhaps the key to understanding what is going on would be a log of scheduled events with the ability to reorder them or mark one as a priority? Otherwise a lot of the time things are happening but I'm not 100% sure what
intern
View user profile

on Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:38 pm
I do feel like I am gaining mastery over my hospital by just looking at what the staff and patents are doing. With the latest patch, the staff will list who they are treating so that is a step in the right direction.
attending
View user profile

on Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:12 am
agree with post above. spending quite a bit of time laying out my hospital and watching it work while exploring options has revealed much. Patients in ICU have to be stabilized before they can be moved out to a different dept. Now, I do know this happens automatically, don't know if you can select the dept. once they have been stabilized.
intern
View user profile

on Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:30 am
Exactly. The patient has to be in a stable condition, before he/she can be moved out of ICU and being subject to any other procedures/treatment/examinations.

I actually had a patient, which ended up dying after spending a week in the ICU...

- He came in as a trauma patient (as far as I remember) and needed surgery for a collapsed lung and laceration (open wound) and by that, a bunch of other things - he was a real mess.
- Was initially stabilized and transferred to the General Surgery HDU for hospitalization and awaiting surgery.
- After a short period of time he developed infection or something, he collapsed and was immediately transferred to ICU.
- He lay there quite a long time and awaited surgery (that's what his card said anyway) but I guess, he was to weak to undergo surgery, due to his other problems - infections and severe respiratory problems.
- He was treated with painkillers and antibiotics (to combat infection) but gradually became weaker and weaker... (it was quite unnerving to witness!)
- He never recovered and never got better, despite my doctors best efforts (I assume) ... he worsened by each day and eventually died after spending 5-6 days in ICU. *SIGH*

So, I guess that's just like in real-life... Sometimes patients gets in, who are so critically ill or wounded, that it's difficult to do anything for them... The ICU department is basically a unit, where the patient is, where the only goal is to keep the patient alive and beyond the reach of Death's Scythe... If that is accomplished, they are moved to other departments. But sometimes, (as my anecdote above showed) patients just never get better and - well stays there indefinitely.

It's sometimes sad to watch...
resident
View user profile

on Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:11 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
You have a point. Perhaps I'm thinking of it as another ward but really it's a life support area so once they end up there that's it as far as anything I can do.
I do find it a shame though sometimes that it seems quite a lot of the game can be played automatically but that's a whole other thing.
cTrix
fellow
View user profile

on Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:08 pm
@AndersFG
The reason your ICU patient didn't get his surgery must have been something in the surgery department. There's no such thing as a patient that can't undergo surgery unless he's in the state of collapsing.

Your day to day job in this game is really to micromanage critical case patients so they get fast tracked treatments. That means taking low priority patients off the surgery schedule and put the crit patients up first.
intern
View user profile

on Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:22 pm
"The reason your ICU patient didn't get his surgery must have been something in the surgery department. There's no such thing as a patient that can't undergo surgery unless he's in the state of collapsing."

@cTrix - that may be true - but I don't know what to tell you!

Sorry, but I don't think that's true... He never got out of ICU - maybe he never got to a stabilized condition. If he's constantly in a condition, which prevents him from being moved out of ICU, then he's in a 'constant collapsing state' if you will... I'm not sure I understand you, but the way you describe it, seems that no-one would ever be present in the ICU for more than 2 seconds. If what you say is true, that patients only are present in ICU, so long as they're 'collapsing', then they would be taken away from ICU, the second they arrived, since the collapsing state ceases to exist the moment they're hospitalized in ICU?! That's kinda an 'Chicken and Egg' thing...

"Your day to day job in this game is really to micromanage critical case patients so they get fast tracked treatments. That means taking low priority patients off the surgery schedule and put the crit patients up first."

You're kidding, right? I have never micro-managed anything on that level in the game - and things have worked out fine for me so far... Sorry, but that seems a little extreme, to be honest... No offense...
resident
View user profile

on Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:39 pm
@cTrix
That means taking low priority patients off the surgery schedule and put the crit patients up first

How do I do this? Is there a list somewhere?
cTrix
fellow
View user profile

on Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:42 pm
trad03cm wrote:@cTrix
That means taking low priority patients off the surgery schedule and put the crit patients up first

How do I do this? Is there a list somewhere?

No, you have to look at every patient to see if there is a surgery scheduled.
resident
View user profile

on Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:42 pm
AndersFG wrote:Exactly. The patient has to be in a stable condition, before he/she can be moved out of ICU and being subject to any other procedures/treatment/examinations.

I actually had a patient, which ended up dying after spending a week in the ICU...

- He came in as a trauma patient (as far as I remember) and needed surgery for a collapsed lung and laceration (open wound) and by that, a bunch of other things - he was a real mess.
- Was initially stabilized and transferred to the General Surgery HDU for hospitalization and awaiting surgery.
- After a short period of time he developed infection or something, he collapsed and was immediately transferred to ICU.
- He lay there quite a long time and awaited surgery (that's what his card said anyway) but I guess, he was to weak to undergo surgery, due to his other problems - infections and severe respiratory problems.
- He was treated with painkillers and antibiotics (to combat infection) but gradually became weaker and weaker... (it was quite unnerving to witness!)
- He never recovered and never got better, despite my doctors best efforts (I assume) ... he worsened by each day and eventually died after spending 5-6 days in ICU. *SIGH*

So, I guess that's just like in real-life... Sometimes patients gets in, who are so critically ill or wounded, that it's difficult to do anything for them... The ICU department is basically a unit, where the patient is, where the only goal is to keep the patient alive and beyond the reach of Death's Scythe... If that is accomplished, they are moved to other departments. But sometimes, (as my anecdote above showed) patients just never get better and - well stays there indefinitely.

It's sometimes sad to watch...

yes but in real life they don't stay in bed and not get taken for a single test and left to die in ICU. its frustrating you can see a hidden flashing symptom yet no tests can be carried out.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum