Project Hospital
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
scorpycfs
resident

[RESOLVED] NSAIDS and their dangerous use Empty [RESOLVED] NSAIDS and their dangerous use

Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:26 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
I just noted that some of the symptoms for acute and or chronic renal failure are treated with NSAIDS. Whilst I haven't looked into gastric disorders, the same would go for them that NSAIDS, whilst great anti-inflammatories are contraindicated in kidney disease and gastric disease. This is due to the important role of prostaglandin E2, normally a proinflammatory mediator, in the stomache acts to barrier the stomache lining from gastric acid, and even more importantly in the kidneys to keep blood flow through the afferent arterioles.
So in both of these cases, NSAIDS would worsening if not significantly so, gastric disease and kidney failure.
igor.oxymoron
igor.oxymoron
developer

[RESOLVED] NSAIDS and their dangerous use Empty Re: [RESOLVED] NSAIDS and their dangerous use

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:33 pm
Hello and thank you for your appointment!

We have localized one symptom in the "acute renal failure" that is treated by NSAIDS and in the next pacth it will be fixed.
In Chronic kidney disease, there is no case.

However i am not sure, what did you mean in the case of gastric disorders - you ment, that in every single one gastric disorder (gastric ulcers, gastritis, helicobacter p., bacterial gastroenteritis ) it is contradictory to use NSAIDS?
scorpycfs
resident

[RESOLVED] NSAIDS and their dangerous use Empty Re: [RESOLVED] NSAIDS and their dangerous use

Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:24 pm
Yes, contraindicated as it will worsen them all due to the aforemention prostaglandin E2 issue. Crohns is the same. Some doctors steer clear of it in ulcerative colitis as well but I doubt the medical evidence for this last one as unlike crohns, ulcerative colitis is limited to the colon.
I haven't checked if any of these have NSAID use to treat any symptoms but thought I would opportunistically mention it just in case. If we're really worried in gastric cases, we might use a steroid but often don't as PPIs and treatment of the diagnosis will generally be more strategic medicine than treating inflammation as a symptom.
With kidney disease, we would definitely use a steroid in chronic nephritis, acute though, probably not.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum