Project Hospital
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
kingdomofvakk
intern

Localization for Occupations.xml file Empty Localization for Occupations.xml file

Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:32 pm
Hi!

Is there any way to have 2 (or more) different versions of the Occupations file or have localisations ignore parts of it?

I have a mod which adds extra occupations for patients and this is fine for the English language localisation. I can add localisations without a problem but many languages have gendered nouns.
In the original English version of the modded Occupations file there is only one occupation entry to cover both genders, with a percentage weight to bias towards one gender in most cases. In other languages there would need to be one for male, and another for female (both needing to be 100% preference to the respective gender). Without needing two copies of each job in English (with 100% male/female gender preference) is there a way to make separate gender entries only for non-English languages?

I have tried making another GameDBAddon in ModAddon.xml and having the localised ones reference that but I can't figure out how to make them ignore the other original one or force the localisations to use a specific set in the Occupations.xml.

Any help will be greatly appreciated
MoominLittlesocks
resident

Localization for Occupations.xml file Empty Re: Localization for Occupations.xml file

Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:47 pm
I don't know if this is of any use as I can only speak in regard to diagnoses, but how I deal with this in the sexual health mod is by having a 2 versions of each diagnosis, one for men and one for women. For example, I have MGEN_MALE and MGEN_FEMALE; they can then have their own gender specific symptoms and respective localization entries. Again, I'm not sure if this will work the same as I haven't looked into modding the occupations xml.
kingdomofvakk
intern

Localization for Occupations.xml file Empty Re: Localization for Occupations.xml file

Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:34 pm
Thanks for your response! This will work and is a solution I have considered but the problem is I only need that system for the non-English languages. If I include it for the English language, I lose the ability to control percentage bias towards male/female, which I consider a feature of the mod and is the language I play in.

This is because to create a male/female gendered noun for each job it means 100% of the male nouns will need to be male and the same for females, so I lose the possibility to control the overall percentage of males/females with this job. If this isn't clear, imagine I have the job 'Bodyguard', at present 75% of people with this job will be male vs 25% female (not real numbers). If I split the gender descriptions there will always be 50% of both (or however the gender split is biased in the hard-coded generation)

Essentially what I want, which I think will remain impossible without access to how patients are generated, is to add a weight to each occupation at generation, then when generated use the male noun for males and female noun for females. In English this would be the same in many cases.
MoominLittlesocks
resident

Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:03 pm
Completely understand. You're right and I feel access to patient generation would have a huge impact on the modding community anyway; I know that I've hit brick walls with my mod for the same reason.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum