Project Hospital
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
pvaccarello
intern

[RESOLVED] CRASH TO DESKTOP Empty [RESOLVED] CRASH TO DESKTOP

Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:05 pm
During the game and in particular during the construction of the interior (but not only) the game crashes on the desktop. I can hear music and effects, and I can even click on the game without seeing what.
Attachments
[RESOLVED] CRASH TO DESKTOP Attachment
output_log.txt You don't have permission to download attachments.(22.2 Mb) Downloaded 4 times
test-requisiti.JPG You don't have permission to download attachments.(63 Kb) Downloaded 5 times
jan.oxymoron
jan.oxymoron
developer

[RESOLVED] CRASH TO DESKTOP Empty Re: [RESOLVED] CRASH TO DESKTOP

Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:00 am
Hi, thanks for the report, looking at the log it looks like you're running out of memory on your graphics card - could you try to switch to low texture quality in options in the main menu and see if it helps? I'd assume the GPU should fall back to using system RAM if it runs out of memory, but maybe it's not supported by the driver for this generation of cards (it's from approximately 2010 if I'm not mistaken).
pvaccarello
intern

Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:43 pm
Correct, the card is from 2010. I have already set the low resolution of the textures but nothing. Nevertheless I purchased the game after making sure it met the recommended requirements. Is there another solution to get around the problem?
jan.oxymoron
jan.oxymoron
developer

Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:48 pm
Hi, thanks for the update, actually checking the drivers would be the next recommended step, but I can see you already mentioned that in your second post in the main bug reporting thread.

Looking at the specs, the 1 GB should be definitely enough with the low textures, the game only uses around 600 MB with these settings - could you also please check your GPU memory usage in Task Manager and see what the graph shows? Maybe there's another program on your machine that doesn't leave enough VRAM for the game. If that looks ok, we might be looking at a rare bug somewhere between the graphics drivers and Unity, but hopefully it's just an issue with the actual free capacity.
And probably worth mentioning - in the worst case you can always refund the game, we can help you in case you already missed the two hour limit for refunds on Steam.
pvaccarello
intern

Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:03 pm
Hi, meanwhile thanks for your prompt interest.

I can't monitor the GPU from TM because the video driver don't support WDDM 2.x (WDDM ver 1.2) but I also attach part of the dxdiag where it appears that the video card actually shares 3GB. Also the Process Lasso monitor shows that there was some free RAM at the time of the crash.

I don't know, but it seems that something during the game destabilizes the system and it certainly is related to the size of the hospital and the construction mode.

If anything else can help, I'm willing to help. I would not like a refund, I would like to play.

Thanks again
Attachments
DxDiag-abstract.txt Abstract of dxdiagYou don't have permission to download attachments.(12 Kb) Downloaded 0 times
lasso-crash.JPG Process Lasso monitor during the crashYou don't have permission to download attachments.(66 Kb) Downloaded 0 times
pvaccarello
intern

[RESOLVED] CRASH TO DESKTOP Empty [UPDATE]

Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:11 pm
Today i monitored the performance of the graphic card during the game using HWiNFO64. I found that during the crash the use of gpu was about 870 MB. I would like to exclude that the problem may derive from an insufficient GPU available. I am attaching the new log and I hope you will be able to help me.
Attachments
output_log_2.txt You don't have permission to download attachments.(5.6 Mb) Downloaded 2 times
jan.oxymoron
jan.oxymoron
developer

Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:14 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Hi, thanks a lot for the updates!

It really looks like the memory capacity isn't the issue, so we're looking at something more related to the drivers and the Unity engine - I've done some more research in the meantime (there are similar reports from other games and sometimes the solution was upgrading the unity engine on the developer side). We actually have a version of the game built using a slightly different version of Unity, so it's worth a try in case this very specific combination triggers it - you can get it by switching to the bold text fix branch on Steam:
[RESOLVED] CRASH TO DESKTOP Beta10

One more quick question though - are you running with an overclocked CPU by any chance? The issue seems to be very random and at least in one case (MSI motherboard) the problem was caused by an unstable CPU and the solution was actually adjusting CPU voltage. I'm not expecting that it would be the same case, but it's easily possible for a system to look perfectly stable until trying a new workload.
https://forum.airportceo.com/t/solved-game-freezes-then-ctd/15363/19

pvaccarello likes this post

pvaccarello
intern

Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:37 pm
Hi, the problem seems to be solved after your last advice.

I switched to the bold text fix branch on Steam and i checked if overclocking was set (I didn't know it existed) using CPUZ. I found that a BIOS setting increased the CPU speed from 2.67GHz to 2.8GHz and I disabled it (Intel (R) Turbo Boost Technology).

I can't tell you which of the two changes actually solved the problem but everything seems to work fine!

I wanted to thank you for the advice and for your patience. I hope I won't have any more problems in the future but in case I know I can count on your support Very Happy
jan.oxymoron
jan.oxymoron
developer

Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:55 am
Hi, ok, that's great news! Fingers crossed everything works well from now on - and enjoy the game! Smile

pvaccarello likes this post

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum