Project Hospital
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
awildpear
medic

[RESOLVED] Cannot load save after room designation mishap Empty [RESOLVED] Cannot load save after room designation mishap

Mon May 17, 2021 10:25 pm
Short description
Hi!  Smile After accidentally placing a room outside of the foundations the room designation (in Management mode) completely broke and would no longer place normally, started costing money and would place everywhere even though the mouse button was not pressed. It looked like I was painting with corridor rooms. After saving, quitting to menu then to desktop and restarting twice the same error message persists and the save will not load.

Repro steps
I was creating a new hospital from scratch (64x64 I believe) and I was going around planning using the room designation thing in Management mode. I accidentally placed a room partially outside of the foundations (a common room) and I think I clicked ctrl+z on reflex, which resulted in another common room disappearing leaving a different floor texture where it had been. So naturally I tried ctrl+Y to redo and put the floor back, and here's where everything went bananas. The "remove room" no longer worked, instead of just removing the whole room it started acting like a floor placement tool (it also cost money to place/use, I think $10). I tried to fix it by instead picking corridor room and now, though I did not have left mouse button pressed, it would just place corridor everywhere I moved my mouse pointer. I realised at this point I couldn't do anything to fix it so I went and saved, then exited to menu using the button in the top right. I tried reopening the save but got the attached error message "unexpected end of file" (see screenshot 1), so I exited to desktop through the button in-game. I tried reopening the game but steam thought it was still open, so I restarted the whole computer.

(I don't know if this is relevant but upon startup my background images were identical on both screens (they were different before restart) and the computer would not let me set them separately (it denoted them both as "screen 2" for some reason), so I restarted again, after which I managed to set them separately again.)

After restart, I could open the game again so I tried opening the save again, but got the same error message as before.

I created a new game and it opens, saves and loads just fine.

Attached
- Saved game
- Screenshot of the error message from the game
- Screenshot of the error message from steam
- Output logs

Unfortunately no autosave because I didn't play for long enough before this happened. (I do have autosaves from previous hospitals/tutorial so let me know if those are useful, I just assumed they wouldn't be)

I hope I have added all the necessary info! No worries if you don't solve it, I hadn't played for very long and it won't take long to get back to where I was in a new save Smile
/awildpear
Attachments
[RESOLVED] Cannot load save after room designation mishap Attachment
output_log.zip You don't have permission to download attachments.(3 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
screenshot_crash_PH.png Error message screenshot (in game)You don't have permission to download attachments.(101 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
hospital1.zip Savefile? I think?You don't have permission to download attachments.(74 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
jan.oxymoron
jan.oxymoron
developer

[RESOLVED] Cannot load save after room designation mishap Empty Re: [RESOLVED] Cannot load save after room designation mishap

Tue May 18, 2021 3:11 pm
Hi, welcome to the forum and thanks for the report and all the details!

First, let me explain why this could turn out to be extremely helpful: over the last year we've received a few quite similar mysterious reports with broken saves, but so far we had no clue as to what could be the root cause. Now we have a pretty good hint that this is definitely linked to rooms and we can try to hotfix a likely error that can happen during the save process. Btw the error basically means that the save process stopped at some point before finishing, so a part of the file is missing.

In the meantime, trying a lot of combinations of placing rooms and prefabs and using undo, I've had no luck reproducing the very specific issue you've described, especially as ctrl+z is disabled in management mode (it should only make the 'bzzzz', not allowed sound effect) - and the game actually doesn't have a redo function at all. Plus with the windows bug it's hard to make any conclusions and guess where the actual cause was. Still, if you encounter anything similar in the future, please let us know, any more details can help confirm that the hotfix works and maybe catch another versions of this issue. Thanks!
awildpear
medic

[RESOLVED] Cannot load save after room designation mishap Empty Re: [RESOLVED] Cannot load save after room designation mishap

Tue May 18, 2021 4:34 pm
Hi!
Thank you for the quick reply! I'm glad to be of help, and should I encounter anything similar in future, I'll be sure to let you know Smile
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum