Project Hospital
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
projecthospitalmac
intern

[RESOLVED] Restoring my progress: Cloud save Empty [RESOLVED] Restoring my progress: Cloud save

Mon May 17, 2021 3:52 am
I had to abruptly upgrade to a new computer due to my current one having problems. I used the cloud save function to save 5 hospitals. When I downloaded project hospital on another computer, they are all gone. Is there a way to get the progress back? If not, is there any way to transfer progress from one device to another?
jan.oxymoron
jan.oxymoron
developer

[RESOLVED] Restoring my progress: Cloud save Empty Re: [RESOLVED] Restoring my progress: Cloud save

Mon May 17, 2021 9:03 am
Hi, thanks for your message and joining the forums to let us know about the issue!

First, before we start troubleshooting, let me provide a workaround just in case - the saves are simple zip files, so they can be freely transferred between computers, these are the locations where you can find them:
- Win: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Oxymoron Games\Project Hospital\maps
- Linux: /home/USERNAME/.config/unity3d/Oxymoron Games/Project Hospital/maps/
- Mac: /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/unity.Oxymoron Games.Project Hospital/maps

The cloud save system is really simple and we haven't seen any similar issues on our side, so it's hard to tell what could go wrong - do you think you could attach the log file from the new machine so we can have a look what the game sees? It should report some details about the cloud saves when it starts. Again, here's where the file pops up:
- Win: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Oxymoron Games\Project Hospital\output_log.txt
- If you have problem accessing the hidden AppData folder, try entering %AppData% in windows explorer
- Linux: /home/USERNAME/.config/unity3d/Oxymoron Games/Project Hospital/Player.log
- Mac: ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log

Thanks in advance!
projecthospitalmac
intern

[RESOLVED] Restoring my progress: Cloud save Empty Re: [RESOLVED] Restoring my progress: Cloud save

Mon May 17, 2021 2:48 pm
Hi! Sorry about the countless editing, for some reason it wouldn't show up and I had to remove a couple words and have a look on Finder! Found the player logs, but am unsure on how to deliver it. .log files are unsupported on Forumotion, (I am using a Mac). How do you want me to deliver it? Converting it to something else, or another way to present it. And for the .maps file, I can't seem to find it. Even using my Steam username, keeps showing no results. Essentially, there's nothing that shows that the cloud files were even there, though I can confirm I did cloud save them on my old machine, and shown with the little cloud and upwards arrow icon.
jan.oxymoron
jan.oxymoron
developer

Mon May 17, 2021 4:20 pm
Hi, thanks for the update!

This might be a bit of a long shot - but what happens if you save a game first on the new machine, restart the game and open the load dialog again?

Regarding the log - we'd definitely still like to have a look, could you try to compress it (zip it)? Btw, to get back to the attachment upload dialog here on the forum, please use the "Reply to topic" button, not just the Quick reply field.

Let's see if we can figure this one out!
projecthospitalmac
intern

Tue May 18, 2021 12:51 am
Hi! Compressed the log file, on this reply! Regarding the maps file, still can't find it. And when I save a game, restart the game and go to load, only one game is there, and it's that empty plot I saved before. (Maybe I didn't quite understand what you were asking me to do?) I also cloud saved it (checking the cloud save box when saving the game), and when I restart the game both of them are there.
Attachments
[RESOLVED] Restoring my progress: Cloud save Attachment
Player.log.zip You don't have permission to download attachments.(3 Kb) Downloaded 5 times
jan.oxymoron
jan.oxymoron
developer

Tue May 18, 2021 3:38 pm
Hi, thanks for the update! Looking at the log file, it doesn't show any errors, but also doesn't confirm the game is connected to Steam (compared to the log from the same version of the game on a macbook we use for testing), let me double check if that could indicate what went wrong.

In the meantime, is it possible that when looking for the saves, you couldn't access the whole Library folder? If that was the case, it's probably worth trying to follow for example this quide:
https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/reveal-library-folder-in-macos/
projecthospitalmac
intern

Wed May 19, 2021 12:57 am
Hello! Tried what you shown, found the maps file, doesn't show my cloud saves. I must have not done the cloud save right, though it did show that it did cloud save. Appreciate everything you're doing for me right now! If it isn't connected to Steam, could this give mean why I don't have access to my hospitals? I want to mention I was on my personal hotspot when cloud saving, as I was at the store.
jan.oxymoron
jan.oxymoron
developer

Thu May 20, 2021 1:04 pm
Hi, thanks for the update - and sorry that figuring this out hasn't been very straightforward.

I don't think we have any means how to check if something went wrong with the save/upload process on the original machine, but I have one more step for you to try on the new laptop if you'd like to continue the troubleshooting process.

I've quickly put together a version of the game (basically the next upcoming patch with some extra bits) which might deal with the Steam connection better and if not, it should at least add some more info to the log file. You can switch to it if you go to Project Hospital in your steam library, go to properties/settings and switch to the beta tab:

[RESOLVED] Restoring my progress: Cloud save Beta11

The version shown in the main menu should then be Project Hospital 1.2.22269 (debug branch test).

Please let me know if this made any difference (and if not, it would be great if we could have a look at a fresh log file).

Thanks in advance!
projecthospitalmac
intern

Fri May 21, 2021 4:39 am
Hello. Thanks for the continued help.

I did the beta, and zipped the file. Having a look in search, I did actually locate my files. (h, h1, h2, h3, h4), but for some reason it said something around the lines of 'failed to connect' in it. It's attatched for you to have a look at. That's good news, though! I'm happy the game recognises it's there, but can't download it. That's the issue we got to fix. Thanks for all the help!

EDIT: Having a 2nd look, I actually do see something saying 'invalid database ID' from the Community Resource Pack I've got installed in my hospitals. Could one of the mods be messing with the file and causing the game to not recognise it? If so, it won't really help, as removing the mod will kill the file, but it's still good to know. I also want to note that I tried this on an iMac prior to trying it on my new Macbook, as I didn't get it. I'll try this on my iMac once I get home.

EDIT 2: Having a 3rd look, I made a mistake. h and h 2 are the only ones there, and the names of empty plots I used on the iMac I was testing! :face-palm:. Still mentions Steam Cloud so it's still ok. Doesn't show on my iMac though, even with the debug. It's okay, though! I am planning on adding modded departments and (maybe) removing a few mods, so this'll just make it a bit longer, so I'm not overly disappointed.
Attachments
[RESOLVED] Restoring my progress: Cloud save Attachment
Player.log.zip You don't have permission to download attachments.(5 Kb) Downloaded 3 times
jan.oxymoron
jan.oxymoron
developer

Fri May 21, 2021 3:45 pm
Hi, thanks a lot for the update(s), also I'm happy to hear you'll be able to work around the problem!

Looking at the log, I can see the new info, but it basically tells us that "Steam tells the game there is a cloud save file but fails to download it or save it" - there's probably not much more we can do on our side, apart from maybe trying to update the Steam libraries used in the game. Btw, just to make sure I'm reading your last post correctly: is it correct that some of the cloud saves finally showed up on the (M1) Macbook, but not on your iMac? It would be great to at least figure out if there's any link between the issue and hardware or maybe OS X version.

Btw, just to clarify how the game deals with mods: these shouldn't affect the cloud save system at all, but yes, in most cases you'll need the same set of mods to load a modded save.
projecthospitalmac
intern

Sat May 22, 2021 4:25 am
Hello. Had a look at the files and they both are identical on both devices, so, hardware is most likely not it. I essentially give up now, and will start from scratch. Don't worry! I would most likely need to anyway, as there are a few mods I want to uninstall. Thanks so much for all your hard work to try to fix this issue.
jan.oxymoron
jan.oxymoron
developer

Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:26 pm
Hi, I have a slightly delayed update, but hopefully good news - thanks to some more info from a later report we found an issue with the cloud settings so hopefully everything works now as expected on your side, we managed to successfully test it also on an M1 Mac. It was a pretty tricky issue though as things sometimes work differently on a normal Steam account and a developer account, but hopefully all is good now. Smile
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum