Go down
Cilya
medic

Incentive for opening a new department Empty Incentive for opening a new department

on Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:14 pm
Hello,

I have enjoyed the game so far by building a small hospital treating up to 90 patients each day while generating a moderate profit. There were two incentives for me to open my first specialized department.

1. to be able to contract Liver TY and thus get more patients/more money for my hospital and
  2. to discover how specialized departments work.

Since opening a department costs quite a lot, it seemed to me that it was important to optimize the existing departments before opening new ones.

So, now, my hospitals works pretty well with only one specialized department. Why would I want to open new departments ? The other specialized departments seem to work the same way so I don't have much curiosity. A critic I read on steam explained that each new department is a copy/paste of the previous one. This doesn't sound exciting. Moreover, as emphasized by this critic (and it matches my understanding of the game so far), opening a new specialized department will split the patient intake across all departments. It would thus reduce the number of patients in the already functional departments and I will have to downsize them and fire some doctors and nurses. I clearly do not want to do that. Also it seems that, overall, this will reduce economies of scale since all departments will be smaller.

I am a bit lost. It seems that I would lose a lot of money by opening a new specialized department. This is counterintuitive as I would have guessed that opening new departments would increase the patient intake. Did I miss something ? What would make you chose to open a new department ?

Last edited by Cilya on Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Masterfranky
intern

Incentive for opening a new department Empty Re: Incentive for opening a new department

on Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:49 pm
I guess its just a way of expanding and adding more always growing. Also you can just move doctors around changing their specialty and department rather than firing.
jan.oxymoron
jan.oxymoron
developer

Incentive for opening a new department Empty Re: Incentive for opening a new department

on Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:47 pm
Hi, I'm not sure if any of the designers would like to chime in, but let me mention these two points:
- The departments actually play/feel quite differently - they have the same structure, but the cases are quite different, with different focus on outpatients/inpatients or surgery. For example neurology and cardiology bring the highest challenge and need quick decisions when it comes to treatments.
- Each diagnosis comes with a set payment and the most critical cases at the specialized departments earn you the most, so each department should be viable.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum