Project Hospital
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
MikeKoder
intern

[OPEN LOW] (MEDICAL ACCURACY) Incorrect Symptom for Test Performed Empty [OPEN LOW] (MEDICAL ACCURACY) Incorrect Symptom for Test Performed

Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:34 am
I have a patient come in with a possible stroke. I sent the patient for an angiography test which came back negative. I then sent the patient for an echo which came back with "Brain arteries blocked." An echocardiogram only evaluates the structure of the heart. It cannot determine anything about the brain. In real life, if we suspect a patient may be having a stroke, we would perform a CT Angiogram of the brain.

So the "Brain arteries blocked" symptom should be uncovered by the Angiography test, not the echo. I would also recommend allowing an EKG to be performed for stroke patients as one of the most common causes of embolic strokes is atrial fibrillation.
MikeKoder
intern

[OPEN LOW] (MEDICAL ACCURACY) Incorrect Symptom for Test Performed Empty Re: [OPEN LOW] (MEDICAL ACCURACY) Incorrect Symptom for Test Performed

Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:28 am
I found another similar issue.

I had a patient come in with chest pains. The first thing I want to do is do an EKG to rule out a heart attack. I can't perform an EKG in the TC. I end up admitting him to ICU because he collapsed. Once he stabilized I only had the option to do an angiography. In reality we would do a coronary angiogram in the cath lab. The angiography scan showed arterial stenosis, but no diagnosis of coronary artery disease appeared, which is what he has. I had to choose angina pectoris. In reality if the stenosis was severe enough we would take him to the cath lab and deploy a stent or maybe even do bypass surgery. Neither option was given.

In summary, EKG should be able to be done in TC, option to perform a coronary angiogram with stenting for treatment of arterial stenosis, and adding coronary artery disease to patient with arterial stenosis.
DrCatman
resident

[OPEN LOW] (MEDICAL ACCURACY) Incorrect Symptom for Test Performed Empty Re: [OPEN LOW] (MEDICAL ACCURACY) Incorrect Symptom for Test Performed

Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:04 am
Agreed, and there's a lot of issues like this not only those you mentioned.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum